Which European companies admit pets on airplanes?
We are more and more the people that have an animal living with us as a member of the family. And, as such, we like to travel with them everywhere. Therefore, if you are thinking about visiting Spain and enjoying everything it has to offer, one of the first things to think about is transportation. We from BeeYou Travel can organise the trip of your dreams to our beautiful country, but if you prefer to search and book everything on your own it is important to know what is the best way for your furry (or feathered) friend to travel with you. As a general rule to all companies, flat-faced animals can never travel in the aircraft hold.
Today we are going to focus on the most important European airlines that travel to Spain.
The company Iberia, is one of the most permissive, since not only admits cats and dogs on the plane but you can also take with you other types of animals such as birds and turtles, as long as they comply with the regulations and have all the papers in order. Iberia does not permit the carriage of weasels (ferrets, pine martens, etc.)
In the Cabin
8 kg. maximum weight including cage or pet pack. Maximum container measurements are 45 cm long, 35 cm wide and 25 cm height and the sum of the three dimensions cannot exceed 105 cm. The cage or pet pack should be strong, ventilated, with a waterproof floor and it should be safe.
They are considered suitable animals to travel in the cabin (PETC): Dogs, Cats, Birds (except for prey), Fish, aquarium Turtles and some rodents (hamsters, guinea pigs or small rabbits).
Travel within Spain: € 25
Travel to Europe, Africa or the Middle East: € 50
Travel to America or Asia: € 150
Origin America: $ 150
Origin Brazil: $ 240
In the Hold
Carry them in the hold in an appropriate cage or pet pack: resistant, secure, comfortable and ventilated. Contact the Booking Office when you buy your ticket.
To be able to carry your pet in the hold you must put it in a cage or pet pack that complies with international regulations:
– Made of resistant and secure material with a lock to guarantee that it won’t open at any time.
– Adapted to the animal’s size and in good condition to ensure the animal’s safety.
– Ventilated and with a waterproofed floor.
They are considered suitable animals to travel in the hold (AVIH): Animals accepted as PETC, Amphibians, Insects, Crustaceans, Reptiles (except aquarium turtles), Rodents, Ferrets.
Bird cages, in addition to resistant and that can not spill any liquid or food, have to have a safe lock. The cage will always be covered.
It is mandatory to inform the company, always, before buying tickets. In addition, thus one can avoid any kind of problems. Each animal is different and it is better to always consult with the company to be sure of everything and not to take bad surprises.
Within Spain: € 120
Europe, Africa and the Middle East: € 120
America and Asia: € 300
Origin America or Israel: $ 300
Origin Brazil: $ 240
There are certain dogs and cats (brachycephalics or animals with excessively short snouts) that are forbidden in the hold because they can die due to their breathing problems. In Iberia, the list of dogs and cats that can only travel in the cabin is available as long as they meet the requirements.
Papers in order
It is essential to have all the papers of your best friend up to date. If you travel within Spain the veterinary passport for dogs and cats is not mandatory but yes, you must bring your official health card. For travel within the European Union (except Finland, Malta and the United Kingdom), animals must be accompanied by their passport stating that they have their identification chip and that they are vaccinated against rabies. To travel to Finland, Malta and the United Kingdom, they must also be vaccinated against the tape between 5 days and 24 hours immediately prior to arrival at the destination point. Ferrets can not travel to these countries.
The transport of animals by Iberia to the United Kingdom continues without being authorised. The animals of emotional service and support are absolutely welcome aboard Iberia.
Information obtained from the official website of Iberia. For further information visit Iberia.
Although British Airways admits pets it is the least permissive :-(.
In the Cabin
Only approved guide dogs are allowed. Without additional costs.
In the Hold
The rest of allowed domestic animals (cats, dogs, ferrets and birds among others) and emotional help dogs can go as long as they meet the requirements of the Program of travel with pets. Cats, dogs and ferrets have to carry a microchip, have their veterinary passport or an official veterinary certificate from a third country and be vaccinated against rabies. In some cases, they should also be vaccinated against the tapeworm.
Information obtained from the official British Airways website. For further information visit British Airways.
The French company only accepts cats and dogs.
– Your animal must have all required vaccines in order to be permitted on board.
– All dogs and cats traveling within the European Union must be identified by an electronic chip. It should also possess a European passport. Provided and completed by an authorised veterinarian, the passport identifies your pet and certifies that it is properly vaccinated.
– Please note: For travel to Ireland, Sweden, the United Kingdom or Malta, additional sanitary conditions apply. We recommend that you check with the embassy of your destination country.
– For travel outside the European Union, consider the regulations enforced in the originating and destination countries (vaccinations, quarantine, etc.).
In the Cabin
You can transport a cat or a dog weighing less than 8 kg (including pet pack) in the cabin, subject to obtaining authorization from the customer service. The animal must be at least 10 weeks old and all vaccines updated. For flights in mainland France (including Corsica), and between mainland France and Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion, the minimum age required is 8 weeks. For flights between mainland France and Guiana, the animal must be at least 15 weeks old.
Flat-faced animals travelling in the Cabin
In case of stress, flat-faced animals, such as dogs of the Carlin, Bulldog, Boxer, Pekinese, Shih Tzu or Persian cats, may suffer respiratory difficulties due to their morphology. Therefore, before traveling by plane with your pet, we recommend consulting your veterinarian.
In Business class on intercontinental flights
Air France does not accept pets in business class on intercontinental flights. Your dog or your cat should travel in the hold, for your own safety.
Note: flat-faced animals are not authorised in the hold.
Your dog or cat should travel imperatively in a specific closed bag whose dimensions should not exceed 46 x 28 x 24 cm. From November 6, 2017, rigid containers are not accepted, a flexible transport bag should always be used. It has to be well ventilated and allow the animal to stand up and turn around. The bag in which the animal is traveling is considered an additional baggage for payment.
In the Hold
Cats and dogs weighing more than 8 kg and a maximum weight of 75 kg (including transport) must travel in the hold compulsorily.
Transportation in the hold is limited to 3 animals maximum per passenger. The number of animals per passenger could be limited according to the type of aircraft. Therefore, we recommend that you indicate that you transport an animal in the hold when you book your ticket.
Prohibition of transportation of animals with a flattened face in the hold. The animal must have at least 10 weeks of age and all vaccines updated. In addition, the form “Conditions for transporting dogs and cats in the hold” must be printed and presented at the airport.
Information obtained from the official Air France website, for further information, visit Air France.
Dogs, cats and ferrets are allowed.
In order to travel within the EU, cats and dogs have to a legible tattoo or microchip and a passport issued by a veterinarian listing the vaccinations your pet has received and attesting to its health.
In order to travel within the United States, cats and dogs must have one of the following documents or information: Valid rabies vaccination certificate, or CDC (Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention) issued unimmunized dog permit (for dogs inadequately immunized against rabies) or Written (or oral) statement that the dog has been living in a rabies-free country for the past 6 months or since birth.
– Pets that are younger than three months cannot travel.
– You should check any rules or restrictions for your destination country with its embassy or consulate, or by consulting the IATA Travel Information Manual
– No pets can travel to the United Kingdom or Ireland
– That the transport of dogs and cats in Israel is regulated by specific legislation.
– That to carry dogs or cats in Brazil the International Veterinary Health Certificate (CZI) is required
– Transportation for recognized guide dogs or assistance dogs accompanying disabled passengers is free of charge (recognized assistance dogs can travel to the United Kingdom and Ireland)
– There may be other restrictions on bringing in certain animal species depending on the destination country.
Information obtained from the official website of Alitalia. For further information visit Alitalia.
Aegean is another company quite permissive with the transport of pets. The reservations have to be done in advance, through the official digital channels of AEGEAN or through the AEGEAN Call Center.
If they travel in the cabin, prices range between 20 and 30 euros for domestic flights and between 50 and 60 euros for international flights, depending on whether you travel in low or high season.
If they travel in the hold, the prices vary between 40 and 50 euros for domestic flights and between 95 and 105 for international flights, also depending on the season in which you fly.
In the Cabin
With the exception of certain breeds, only cats, dogs (including guide dogs) and ferrets (family of mammals: weasels, polecats, stoats and cyber marten) can travel in the passenger cabin. Each passenger can travel with one (1) unique pet in the cabin, which must be in a special carrier. The maximum allowed weight of the pet (including the carrier) is 8 kg.
If you want to travel with more pets, they must be of the same species, be familiar with each other and must be transported in the same special carrier. In addition, your weight (including the carrier) must not exceed eight (8) kilograms.
In the Hold
If the weight of your pet is more than eight (8) kg, it must be transported in the aircraft hold. With the exception of certain breeds, AEGEAN allows the transport in the hold of Airbus aircraft 319, 320 and 321, of all domesticated animals: Dogs, cats, ferrets, spiders and other invertebrates (except bees and crustaceans), tropical fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, rodents and rabbits.
The transportation of animals in the hold is not accepted when the flight includes a stopover with more than three (3) hours of waiting. Animals destined for laboratory or scientific purposes will not be accepted either.
Note: on flights with Alexandria as their origin or destination, the service of transporting animals in the aircraft’s hold is not offered.
Information obtained from the official website of Aegean, for further information, visit Aegean.
On Lufthansa flights you can travel with your dog, your cat, with a hare or a rabbit.
Only small dogs and cats whose weight does not exceed 8 kg, including the animal travel bag, can be carried as additional hand luggage in the cabin of the aircraft, provided that certain requirements are met.
Dogs and cats weighing more than 8 kg, including the animal travel bag, as well as hares and rabbits can be transported in the aircraft’s heated cellar, provided that certain requirements are met.
Important: in connecting flights with a stopover in Munich, pets are not allowed in the cellar. At the Munich airport there is no possibility of dispatching the animals that travel in the hold to their final destination. The reservation of connections in transit or connection with consigned animals and their dispatch to the final destination is still possible via Frankfurt.
The transport of assistance dogs (eg, guide dogs or sign dogs) is subject to the following exceptions. Important: each passenger can carry a maximum of 2 animals (in a certified animal travel bag). The animal can be transported in the cabin or in the cargo hold:
Two animals (dogs or cats) at most in the cabin (inside a homologated animal travel bag) or two animals maximum in the hold (in one or two certified animal travel bag).
An animal (dog or cat) in the cabin (inside a homologated animal travel bag) and an animal in the hold (inside an approved animal travel bag).
Information obtained from the official Lufthansa website, for further information, visit Lufthansa.
They only accept cats and dogs.
In the Cabin
You can take a small dog or cat in the Economy Class cabin on most KLM and Business Class flights on most KLM flights within Europe:
• In a suitable kennel whose dimensions do not exceed 46 (length) x 28 (width) x 24 (height) cm. Your pet must be able to stand up and lie down comfortably.
• The total weight of the animal together with the kennel must not exceed 8 kg.
• The kennel must be able to be placed under the seat in front of you (therefore, the rows next to the exit are excluded). It is not allowed to remove the animal from the cage or the carrier.
In the Hold
Your dog or your cat can travel in the hold in a ventilated part of the plane:
• In a kennel that complies with IATA standards – for example, those of the “Sky” and “Vari” brands.
• The total weight of your pet together with the kennel must not exceed 75 kg.
• Two adult animals of similar size that are compatible, up to 14 kg each. Or three animals up to six months of age of the same litter, up to 14 kg each. We accept a maximum of three pets per passenger in the hold.
Always make a reservation for your pet by phone. We strongly advise you to do it within 24 hours after booking your ticket or, at least, 48 hours before departure. Keep in mind that you can take up to 3 pets per passenger but that we have space for a limited number of kennels in the cargo hold.
Flat animals, such as boxers, bulldogs, Pekingese and Persian cats, may have breathing problems during flight due to high temperatures and stress. Therefore, to ensure their welfare, most of this type of animals can only be transported in the cabin or as cargo. Unfortunately, we do not transport either in the hold or as cargo, English bulldogs, French, Boston terriers or pugs.
When your pet is transported in the hold, your kennel must meet several standards:
• The kennel must be made of fiberglass or rigid plastic. Wood, metal bars or wire mesh are not allowed.
• The wheels must be removed or, if they are retractable, removed or blocked with adhesive tape.
• The doors must have a centralized locking system that ensures the top and bottom closures of the door.
• The door hinge and safety pins must extend beyond the edge of the door frame by at least 1.6 cm at the top and bottom of the door opening where the bolts are placed.
• The two parts of the cage must be joined by screws. Any other locking system is strictly prohibited.
• The cage should be large enough for your pet to be able to stand without touching the roof, turn easily and lie down in a natural position.
• There must be a blanket, newspaper or other absorbent material on the floor in the kennel. Keep in mind that straw is not allowed.
Information obtained from the official KLM website, for further information, visit KLM.
In conclusion, although not all companies accept the same animals, there are some common rules, such as that to travel in the cabin the animal and the kennel can not weigh more than 8 kg together, and of course, they must have their documentation in order , both legal and sanitary.
From BeeYou Travel we remind you the importance of being responsible parents with our animals. Knowing your animal well is essential, to make sure it does not suffer during the trip, especially if it has to travel in the hold. There are animals that do not resist it. Remember that your animal also feels.